miércoles, 15 de julio de 2015

Guess what is it?


Hi everyone!

Well, today I am going to share with you a little game that I often use in my class to help my students be comfortable talking in front of the class and learning new vocabulary through description of pictures.

First of all,  I have pasted five different reference pictures and nine color reference pictures on my whiteboard. Here there are:

Fruit

Objects

People


 
Vegetables













Animals









I also had printed some silhouettes of animals, people, fruit, vegetables and objects; as the next examples:



Then, in class I show some of these silhouettes to my class and they name them. After that, I explain slowly what I will do and what do I expect for them.


"I am going to describe something and you are going to guess what is it.

It is an animal (while I am pointing or touching the animal card on the board)

It could be gray, white, black or brown (while I am pointing or touching colors card on the board)

Do you know what is it?... (Encourage children answer with "is it a.....?")

If they do not guess, you could give them more descriptions as: it has long ears (while you extend your arms up forward and point your ears) or long legs, big paws, among others.

Let them answer...

If they do not guess, you could start talking about actions as: it eats vegetables (point the picture) and name which one.

Let them answer and remember you always have to congratulate them for their participation"


Usually I guide the game by the first time. After some classes, I allow my students to pass in front to the class and participate describing. In my case my class is divided in five groups of four so every day as warm up activity one kid of the table has to describe a silhouette to gain points to their group(one point for good description and four if the group guess what is described) each group has four opportunities to guess if not next group could say the answer. And that's it, we have played all year long including new vocabulary monthly. 

This idea is a good tool to introduce new vocabulary and also to encourage my students to make descriptions and although they are only 5 or 6 years old (remember they are spanish speakers).

That's all my dear friends I hope you like it. As always any doubt please let me know it, leaving a comment.

If you want to see an example of how apply this to a regular class click here.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario